Saturday, December 8, 2012

On exercise



I was on my third episode of Dawson’s Creek when it happened. I was just laying there, astonished by the antics of Dawson and Pacey, when I began to feel it. The urge, the pull, the itch, whatever you want to call it. All of a sudden I had to run. Had to.

I paused the show, frantically dressed and gathered my shoes and iPod, afraid the feeling would slip away.

I was out the door and moving, not sure where my feet were carrying me. I took off faster than normal, bobbing through the early afternoon crowd I never encountered on my morning jogs.

Twenty-four minutes later I was climbing the stairs back to my front door, feeling a satisfactory burn in my lungs and fatigue in my legs. I smiled, a sense of accomplishment spreading through me. I did it. 

And I want to keep doing it. I want to keep running and lifting and swinging and moving. This year, more than any other, I want to make it a priority to stay in shape during the holidays. To take care of my body. 

It’s little things. It’s big things. It’s intense workouts first thing in the morning. It’s the squats I do while waiting for the microwave. It’s about understanding my body’s needs, mentally, physically, and emotionally.


I know that in these next few weeks, I won’t workout every day. I will have “lost” days. I will have days that are better than others. I will choose Law & Order marathons with my sisters. I will choose an extra afternoon run. Maybe both.

And that’s all ok. I’m learning to give myself more leeway, but not be complacent. To be It’s an early Christmas present to myself, this attempt at understanding.  A gift that will hopefully keep on giving.

What are your holiday health or fitness plans? 

No comments:

Post a Comment