Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Peanut Butter Banana Protein Smoothie


Two weeks ago I OD-ed on eggs. (Sidenote: that’s probably the strangest sentence I’ve ever typed.)

I was going home and I didn’t want to leave a bunch of leftovers and almost-meals in my fridge over the weekend. I didn’t want to have to clean that mess up come Sunday night when I would have to do the homework I had put off all weekend was relaxed from being at home.


I ate eggs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Multiple days in a row. Yes, I added other things to them but still. They were eggs. I went through a dozen in only a few days. Even with my love of eggs, it was just too much.

So, I’m giving them a little bit of a break right now. Which seems blasphemous, I know, but, it is giving me the opportunity to enjoy other breakfast foods I love. Like oatmeal or pancakes. And this awesome smoothie.

November isn’t really the time for smoothies. It’s the time for hot drinks. It’s the time for cider or coffee or tea. Normally, I’m in agreement, and would steer clear of cold beverages, especially at breakfast time, but this Peanut Butter Banana Protein Smoothie is a great breakfast AND post-workout meal, all rolled into one.

When I’ve just finished an intense workout, am still sweating through my t-shirt (gosh, I’m attractive), and the rumbling in my stomach could wake the neighbors, the last thing I want to do is wait for food to actually heat up. I’m already hot enough, thanks.


Peanut Butter Banana Protein Smoothie (makes one serving, barely adapted from The Pastry Affair)

¼ cup old-fashioned oats

¾ cup unsweetened almond milk

1 medium banana (on the overly ripe side, if you’re like me)

1.5 oz. extra firm tofu, drained*

1 – 2 TBSP powdered peanut butter, such as PB2

Ice, if desired

In a measuring cup combine the oats and almond milk and let stand for at least 10 minutes.


While the oats soak up the almond milk, slice the banana and add it to your blender (or immersion mixer if you’re blender-less or without a magic bullet, as I am), along with the tofu and powdered peanut butter.


Once the oats have softened, add the mixture to the blender.


Blend until smooth. Add ice, if using, and blend again until smooth.

Drink immediately.


*I know the addition of tofu seems weird, disgusting, unnecessary, or all of the above. But, trust me, it’s not! It adds substance and protein to this smoothie and once everything is blended you can’t taste the tofu at all. Scouts’ honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment