Monday, October 1, 2012

Pumpkin Graham Crackers


I don’t finish things. Food things. I mean, I do finish them...eventually. But, not right away. Nope. I am that person. You know, the one that leaves half a scoop of ice cream in the carton or a teeny, tiny spoonful of peanut butter in the jar or crumbs at the bottom of the chip bag. My family could certainly attest to this fact and how much it drives them nuts endears them to me. We all have our quirks, after all. 

I think it’s a psyche thing. Like, if I sit down with a pint of Ben & Jerry’s and really go to town, which, let’s be honest, is a frequent occurrence, and leave a little bit in the carton, I’m ok, it’s ok. I didn’t eat the whole thing. I have no reason to be guilty. None. No, there’s a paper thin layer on the bottom of the bucket and it’s totally enough for someone else to enjoy, right? Of course! Guilt trip averted.


I know I’m not alone here.

Recently though, one of my favorite foods to eat into oblivion has been graham crackers. I ADORE graham crackers. I will eat them plain, in s’mores, as crusts, or as toppings. My current favorite of grahams crushed up into some melted white chocolate chips to create a sort of white chocolate-graham cracker paste is especially delicious.  I can eat nearly an entire sleeve of these guys and not even realize it. Then when I do, I make sure to leave at least one cracker for whoever grabs the box next…I’m thoughtlessful that way.

But, what to do when there isn’t a box around? Not even a sleeve? Not even half a cracker just thrown in the cupboard? What do I do when I actually, finally, finish.my.food?

Make my own, obviously. And put pumpkin in them, double obviously.

These Pumpkin Graham Crackers are perfect for this time of year. The mornings are cool and the evenings chilly, but those darned afternoons are still too warm to avoid sweating in that adorable new cardigan. The warm weather is lingering just a little while longer, and with it, thoughts of summer. The pumpkin flavor and warm spices are perfectly fall, but the distinct graham flavor and texture of these crackers brings to mind the s’mores of just a few weeks ago.


Pumpkin Graham Crackers (makes approx. 32 2inx2in crackers, barely adapted from The Cupcake Project)

¾ c. all purpose flour

1 ½ cups graham flour

½ tsp. baking soda

¾ tsp. salt

1 tsp. cinnamon

½ tsp. ground ginger

¼ tsp. ground nutmeg

a healthy pinch of ground cloves

2 TBSP (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature

2 TBSP pumpkin puree (I used canned)

1 large egg

6 TBSP brown sugar

2 TBSP honey

2 TBSP molasses

Preheat oven to 375. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

In a medium bowl whisk together flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Set aside.

Cream butter, pumpkin, sugar, and egg until creamy, about 2 minutes. Mix in honey and molasses and stir until fully incorporated.

Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and stir until totally combined. The dough should really look like a dough and begin to form a ball. If it seems too wet, add a little more graham flour until you’re able to handle it without it sticking to fingers.

On a surface liberally dusted with graham flour, turn out dough ball and roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thickness (like, really thin). Cut into 2 inch squares using a pizza cutter or knife.

Place on prepared cookie sheets about 2 inches apart and poke holes into crackers with tines of a fork.

Bake crackers in preheated oven for 9 – 12 minutes, until dough is firm and slightly brown.  The crackers won’t change color drastically, so keep an eye on them.

Cool crackers on pans for 5 – 10 minutes, until set, and remove to rack to cool completely. The crackers will be most “crackery” once cooled completely.

Store into airtight container for up to four days.


Now these I have no probably finishing. Ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment