Friday, June 22, 2012

A New Job and Brownie Cookies!


I finished my first week at a local bakery today. I applied for the job in March and didn’t hear anything until nearly June. But I was so excited to start! In only a few days, I have noticed a difference in the items I’m baking. My rolls are more symmetrical, it takes me half the time to measure out a batch of dough, I can frost a cupcake faster and smoother than I thought possible.


The thing I was the best at though, even from the get go, was portioning out cookie dough. No matter the dough – a sugar cookie, a chocolate crinkle, or an oatmeal and craisin – I haven’t been off by more than .01 ounces. Holding a ball in my hand and knowing even before I put it on the scale whether it will be high or low is an exhilarating feeling, and probably my favorite part of the job thus far.

After a couple of long shifts at the bakery followed by even longer ones at the restaurant, I finally had the day off yesterday. Even after spending countless hours in a hot, cramped kitchen the only thing I wanted was to be back in the kitchen. My kitchen. Without a hat or stuffy tennis shoes or a rolling pin permanently attached to my hand – just my sweat pants and flowered apron to keep me company.

After browsing Pinterest for hours earlier in the morning, I found Naomi’s post and was smitten with the idea of cookies that tasted like a brownie. Try as I might, I have never been able to produce a thick, chewy, fudgy brownie with beautiful crackles on the top. But cookies? I can do cookies.


And so I did. I made two batches of these bad boys and am beyond impressed with them. The directions are specific and the only change I was brave enough to make was to add white chocolate to the batter instead of all dark or semi-sweet. Why? Because I have a serious problem.

This problem is even worse.


Brownie Cookies (makes about 16 cookies, found on Baker’s Royale and originally from Donna Hay)

12oz. chocolate (7oz. regular dark or semi-sweet and 5oz. white chocolate if following my lead)

3 TBSP unsalted butter

2 large eggs

2/3 cup sugar

1 tsp. vanilla extract

¼ cup all-purpose flour

¼ tsp. baking powder

Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

Whisk together flour and baking powder in a small bowl, set aside.

In a small saucepan melt the butter over low heat and add 7oz. chocolate. Stir occasionally until smooth. Turn off heat and set aside. Chocolate should become thick and slightly glossy upon standing.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla at medium to medium-high speed until pale and creamy, 5 – 10 minutes.

Add flour mixture and cooled chocolate to egg mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in remaining 5oz. of chocolate.

Set batter aside for 10 minutes.*

Using a medium cookie scoop portion out batter onto prepared baking sheets about 2 – 3 inches apart.

Bake in preheat oven 8 – 10 minutes, or until tops are cracked and edges are set.

Allow to cool on baking sheet for at least 5 minutes before removing to wire rack, but preferably until completely cool.

*Yes, SET THE BATTER ASIDE FOR 10 MINUTES. It is imperative to do this or the cookies will be too thin and you won't get cookies, you'll get a mess. Set a timer and go read or watch YouTube videos for awhile. 


Problem solved.

1 comment:

  1. DEFINITELY GONNA MAKE THESE COOKIES SOMETIME!!!!
    They look sooo sooo sooooooo delicious!

    Check out my blog: http://bakingcraze.blogspot.ie/
    Read my recipes, take part in my poll or follow :)

    ReplyDelete