Tuesday, December 20, 2011

White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha Cookies


I’ve got a bit of a headache today. Nothing major – just a bit of caffeine withdrawal. We all know, I like coffee. A lot. I drink it in the morning to wake me up, in the afternoon to pick me up, and at night to keep me up. Black, with cream, two sugars, no sugar, how I drink it changes all the time.


Obviously, that means I am a sucker for Starbucks (Gold Card Member anyone?) and love everything from just a tall Americano to a fancy, schmancy, frothy, delicious calorie-bomb of a drink. And nothing gets me more excited than when they bring out their seasonally themed treats; starting with Pumpkin Spice in early fall and heralding in winter with lots of Gingerbread and Caramel Brulee lattes.


We don’t have a Starbucks in my town. The nearest one is 20 miles away. Luckily, I make a weekly trip to the big(ger) city to grocery shop and run errands and stop by my beloved café everytime (okay, twice sometimes. So sue me).

Last week, after I had made these hot cocoa cookies, I started craving think about a Peppermint Mocha. I could practically taste the rich chocolate and cooling peppermint with a background of espresso. And when made with white chocolate? Forget about it! Alas, it was going to be another week until I had the chance to get one. So instead, I made these cookies! 


A little bit of white chocolate mocha powder and instant coffee gives the cookie itself a nice coffee flavor with just a hint of white chocolate. The peppermint bits and white chocolate chips make this minty and melty and absolutely perfect! I was toying with the idea of putting in peppermint extract but we were out I decided not to, and I’m glad. The chips really pack enough of a mint flavor without them becoming the main focus of the cookie. Everyone plays nicely and balances each other out!


White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha Cookies (makes about 24 cookies, adapted from Triple HotChocolate Cookies)

2 ½ cups flour

½ cup White Chocolate Mocha Powder (I used Ghiradelli)

1 ½ tsp. baking powder

½ tsp. salt

¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 cup white sugar

1 egg +1 yolk

2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 TBSP instant coffee granules mixed with 1 TBSP water

1 cup Andes peppermint chips

1 cup white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, mocha powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 – 5 minutes. Add in the egg and 
yolk and mix until fluffy and pale yellow. Add in the vanilla and coffee mixture.

Add the flour mixture SLOWLY in three batches, not adding the next batch until the flour is fully incorporated.

Mix in the peppermint and white chocolate chips.

Chill dough for 30 minutes.

Using a large cookie scoop or a ¼ cup measure scoop dough onto prepared baking sheets about 2 or 3 inches apart.

Bake in preheated oven for 9 – 12 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the center is just set.

Cool on pan for five minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely.

Can be stored in an airtight container for up to one week.


I’ll take a grande!

No comments:

Post a Comment